If this was the last one...

If I knew I had one last message to share with the world this would be the one...

There will be no cowards in Heaven!

Okay, so let's be sure we are the same page
  • Are we called to be disciples?
  • Are we called to proclaim the gospel?
  • Are called to be set apart?
We have to be careful of the gospel we proclaim!
  • We can't sugar coat the truth
Being a cross follower is difficult!

In fact, the gospel tells us over and over again only a few find the path.  When you press into Jesus the goal is to make you a new creature.

2nd Corinthians 5:
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.  The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 18 All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; 19 that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. 20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

We have to stop playing church and be the unique passionate church God has called us to be!

Look this is one of my favorite topics, so I am not going to hold back, because I am convinced the idea of "lukewarmness", "get out of hell free card" and "doing enough to just get in" is sending millions straight to hell.

What do believe is the most important topic facing the Church today?
The number one problem facing the American Church today is complacency and apathy.  Over the years a false gospel has been proclaimed and the emphasis has been on grace instead of repentance.  The difference may sound small however it's sending millions to hell.  I know that may sound harsh, and everyone may not agree, but when I open God's word that's what I read.

I don’t think it’s intentional, but I do think we are only telling people half the gospel which is also why the church doesn’t make sense. If grace is the answer then it really doesn’t matter how we live.
  •  Blasphemy is the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God
If there is no sign of fruit...there is no repentance...if there is no repentance....there is no salvation.  We simply can't have the relationship we long for with Christ without a heart of repentance.

Luke 13:3  No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

Luke 15:7 Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

Acts 2:38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

Acts 3:19 Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out

Acts 17:30 The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent

It’s important to restate and to be clear
Without repentance there is no salvation
Without a true desire to repent there is no forgiveness

We are responsible for sharing the gospel..if not who?

Romans 10
11 For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. 13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

14 How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard?[c] And how are they to hear without someone preaching? 15 And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!”

Do Something - Matthew West
I woke up this morning
Saw a world full of trouble now
Thought, how’d we ever get so far down
How’s it ever gonna turn around
So I turned my eyes to Heaven
I thought, “God, why don’t You do something?”
Well, I just couldn’t bear the thought of
People living in poverty
Children sold into slavery
The thought disgusted me
So, I shook my fist at Heaven
Said, “God, why don’t You do something?”
He said, “I did, I created you”

If not us, then who
If not me and you
Right now, it’s time for us to do something
If not now, then when
Will we see an end
To all this pain
It’s not enough to do nothing
It’s time for us to do something

I’m so tired of talking
About how we are God’s hands and feet
But it’s easier to say than to be
Live like angels of apathy who tell ourselves
It’s alright, “somebody else will do something”
Well, I don’t know about you
But I’m sick and tired of life with no desire
I don’t want a flame, I want a fire
I wanna be the one who stands up and says,
“I’m gonna do something”

If not us, then who
If not me and you
Right now, it’s time for us to do something
If not now, then when
Will we see an end
To all this pain
It’s not enough to do nothing
It’s time for us to do something

We are the salt of the earth
We are a city on a hill (shine shine, shine shine)
But we’re never gonna change the world
By standing still
No we won’t stand still
No we won’t stand still
No we won’t stand still

If not us, then who
If not me and you
Right now, it’s time for us to do something
If not now, then when
Will we see an end
To all this pain
It’s not enough to do nothing
It’s time for us to

Chapter 4: Profile of the lukewarm

This is the deepest chapter so far. It really challenges us to think about our walk with God and to think whether or not we are truly devoted to Him. He talks first about the parable of the sower found in Luke chapter 8. Francis cautions: "Do not assume you are good soil." He says that a relationship with God simply cannot grow when money, sins, activities, favorite sports teams, addictions, or commitments are piled on top of it. Basically, if it's more important that God, it's a bad thing to have. Is there something that has overtaken your relationship with God at some point in your life, now or in the past?

Wait a minute. Did he say favorite sports teams? Hmmmm.

On page 68 Francis writes 18 descriptions of Lukewarmness:
* Lukewarm people attend church regularly. It's what "good Christians" do.
* Lukewarm people give money to charity/church as long as it doesn't impinge on their standard of living.
* Lukewarm people choose what is popular over what is right when they are in conflict.
* Lukewarm people don't really want to be saved from their sin; they only want to be saved from the penalty of their sin.
* Lukewarm people are moved by stories about people who do radical things for Christ, yet they do not act.  They are not called...it’s for someone else to do.  My questions is what are they called do?
Maybe it’s just me…
People can get their passports to travel the world and do some crazy adventurous stuff and take lots of pictures doing it
But talk about serving internationally - they are full of excuses
* Lukewarm people rarely share their faith with their neighbors, coworkers, or friends.
* Lukewarm people say they love Jesus, and His is, indeed, a part of their lives. But only a part. They give Him a second of their time, money, and their thoughts, but He isn't allowed to control their lives.
* Lukewarm people love others but do not seek to love others as much as they love themselves.
* Lukewarm people will serve God and others, but there are limits to how far they will go or how much time, money, and energy they are willing to give.
* Lukewarm people think about life on earth much more often than eternity in heaven.
* Lukewarm people are thankful for their luxuries and comforts, and rarely consider trying to give as   much as possible to the poor.
* Lukewarm people do whatever is necessary to keep themselves from feeling too guilty.
* Lukewarm people are continually concerned with playing it safe; they are slaves to the god of control.
* Lukewarm people do not live by faith; their lives are structured so they do not have to.
Lukewarm people probably drink and swear less than average, but besides that, they really aren't very different from your typical unbeliever.

It’s important to restate and to be clear
Without repentance there is no salvation
Without a true desire to repent there is no forgiveness

Let's take another look at scripture

Matthew 10
Not Peace, but a Sword
34 “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36 And a person's enemies will be those of his own household. 37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

Rewards
40 “Whoever receives you receives me, and whoever receives me receives him who sent me. 41 The one who receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet's reward, and the one who receives a righteous person because he is a righteous person will receive a righteous person's reward. 42 And whoever gives one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.”

Matthew 7:
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
The Wise and Foolish Builders
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.

Revelation - Chapter Three
To the Church in Laodicea
14 “And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: ‘The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation.
15 “‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.17 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. 19 Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, bI will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.21 The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’”





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adoption T-Shirts are now available

Expecting

Yesterday