If I have not love...

Children,

I write this with a variety of emotions. I am full of joy with the amount of time we have spent together this summer and the addition of Emmanuel. However, I also write as a Brother in Christ who is constantly made new by the work of the Holy Spirit. The more I study the word, the more I love the words written on each page. The passion in which it’s written provides nourishment to my mind and soul when I truly listen to what it is saying. I do not know what technology will be like in the next five years. My prayer is that no matters whatever happens to me. You will always find these words encouraging and challenging to make a difference in the world.
Love is defined in Websters's in a variety of different ways. However, the context I am writing from is a spiritual view.
  • A : unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another: as (1) : the fatherly concern of God for humankind(2) : brotherly concern for others
  • B : a person's adoration of God
When Jesus is asked what is the greatest command, he responds with love.
 
Matthew 22:36-40
New International Version (NIV)
36“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’" 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Yet, I wonder if we truly understand what the Holy Spirit is trying to convey. I am cautious about saying this is what God meant, because who am I speak on behalf of his sovereignty. However, I am intrigued by what 1st Corinthians says about love. I think we gave religiously by love spiritually. I believe we can play church and not be the church. I convinced we can say we follow a Jesus we do not even know. Jesus is calling us to be his hands and his feet. Which is why he was excited when he knew the Holy Spirit was coming. In fact, he said it is better that I go.

1 Corinthians 13
New International Version (NIV)

13 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

I am not a fan of The Message for a variety of reasons. However, this is the version chosen for the song. The message in the song and in scripture is so strong.

The Message
13 If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but do not love, I’m nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. 2 If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I do not love, I’m nothing.3-7 If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I do not love, I’ve gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love.

As you know, I love music and how it speaks. The song The Proof Of Your Love by King and Country sums up what I am trying to convey.

The message, in the song and scripture is so strong. Children, my prayer, is you will love as Jesus loves. I pray see the world as Jesus does, which is spiritually and not earthly. Along life's journey, you constantly have to chose which Jesus to follow. The prosperity Jesus of this world, or the Jesus of the Bible. I write with passion and conviction because of my devotion towards you and the convictions God continues to manifest in me. I know others will see this and may reflect on the things I have done wrong, I pray you read this knowing the man who strive to be.
The thoughts behind the song
 
 
 
Live Performance at Saddleback Church
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adoption T-Shirts are now available

Expecting

Happy Birthday Emmanuel - A father's letter